Monday, October 1, 2012

Halloween lunch

At the start of the school year, I am sorely lacking in creativity when it comes to do something fun in my kiddos lunches.



The only "theme" I can really think of is back to school, abc's & 123's, apples...I know kind of lame right. But holidays give me so much more to work with.

Although, there are a lot of ready made Halloween treats,such as fruit snacks or pretzels but  there are also some easy and inexpenisve alternatives.


For me, one of the easiest things to do, to make lunches a little more fun, are to use foods that are that holidays' colors. Halloween screams orange and black right? But I can also see a bit of dark purples and lime green. So here are a few things you can add to any lunch that will help make them a little more themed.



You can add these items..

Black: olives, oreos, chocolate teddy grahams (or similar), chocolate pudding

Orange: cheese cubes/slices, carrots, peaches, oranges, mandarin oranges, cantaloupe, mango, cheese crackers, orange juice, jello

Purple: grapes, egg plant, grape juice, cabbage ( I would be hard pressed to get my kids to eat egg plant or cabbage but you get the idea!)jello

Green: grapes, apples, pistachios, pistachio pudding, jello



Don't forget to add a fun napkin (either a plain color or a themed one), fun picks or other "scary" elements. You can also add orange/black plastic utensils!

At the end of the season, I go through all the holiday clearance and look for anything that I can use for the next year. Like cupcake picks, cocktail straws, napkins, plates, cups, cookie cutters...Then I store them away with my Halloween stuff and I have them for the next year!

Do you do anything fun for lunch?

No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com