Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A sad day...

***If you are looking for the link to the Homemade Oreos, it is in the next post down!

I have 2 magazine holders in my kitchen that are dedicated to cooking magazines. But I have promised myself that I won't get anymore. 2 is my limit. But I love cooking magazines. The other day I found a Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee cooking magazine. I love her show.

But bringing it home I knew I would have to say goodbye to a few of my other ones.

While I lived in the states, I loved getting the Kraft Food & Family magazine. Unfortunatley, they do not send it to Guam. It used to be free but I don't think it is anymore. Sigh. But I knew this was one I needed to toss when I saw that it had favorite new products of 2007!

So here are my two favorite "semi homemade" recipes from the magazine.

First off...mini meatloaves. My nephew Vale used to call it meatlove. (: Anyway these are a HUGE hit around here. Ben just picks them up right out of the pan and eats them. But they also freeze well. I am actually going to be making some today to put in the freezer.

Recipe:
1 lb. ground beef
1 box Stove top Stuffing mix
1 cup of water
bbq sauce ( I totally eyeball this, I just put enough in to make everything moist)

Preheat oven to 375. Mix meat, stuffing,water and bbq sauce.
Spoon into muffin tin.
I like to drizzle a little bbq on top also.
Bake for 30 minutes.
You're done. Seriously,that is it.

The stuffing has all the seasoning you need.
To save your muffin tin, feel free to put them into a liner.
You might be wondering why bbq and not ketchup? Well I don't know, but it gives it a little sweetness and a little tang at the same time. Yum!

Taco Bake
(recipe is straight from the magazine)
1 pkg. macaroni & cheese
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
1 cup salsa

Preheat oven to 400.
Prepare mac & cheese according to pkg. directions.
Brown meat and drain.
Add taco seasoning and water, let simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir sour cream in to mac & cheese.
Spoon half of that mixture into an 8 in. square or 9 in. round baking pan
top with meat mixture, 1 cup of cheese and than rest of mac & cheese
Cover
Bake for 15 min.
Top with salsa and remaining cheese.
Bake for 5 more minutes.
I like to crunch up tortilla chips for the top.
I also like to make two at a time. One for now...one for the freezer for later!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Are we related or something?? I love cooking magazines, too, and I save all of them - for awhile, at least. I've realized, though, that I rarely go back and look at them. If I need a recipe, I go to the Internet for it. But, I've still got a stack of magazines in my cupboard :)

The mini meatloaf recipe is just like the WW meatloaf muffins, isn't it? Except without the BBQ sauce. It's one of my favorite recipes, too. Meat love - ya just gotta love that kid!

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com