Wednesday, June 16, 2010

old fashioned


(Etan helping his Grandpa with woodworking)


(Harmony with her cousin Wyatt and Grandma working on a sewing project)

I am very old fashioned in the way I think. It also comes about in the way I raise my kids. Having only one girl, I feel the need to teach her homemaking skills...Cleaning, laundry, cooking, crafts etc.

However, having 4 boys, I feel that the skills they need, are taught more by their dad. Although with him being deployed or gone often, I also have to teach them those skills. Taking out the trash, caring for the lawn, being gentleman...but also cleaning up, cooking and being the "man of the house". Each boy has helped me to pump gas at least once.

I thought it was very interesting, while at my parents house, how the kids naturally went to their Grandparents and helped/were taught new skills.

I know that both genders need to learn both sets of skills, in case they are on their own for awhile, but I just found this interesting.

**BTW- yes I do realize that while I am talking about gender roles etc, that the picture of my mom and daughter, there is a BOY, he was actually just playing with the pins)

2 comments:

Susan said...

Interestingly enough, one of the things that I learned from dad is that even if a man mostly does "boy" chores, he can still pitch in with the "girl" chores. Dad was a great example of that. I've seen him washing dishes, vacuuming carpets, sweeping floors, cooking, etc.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read this! I have old fashion type of thinking also. My husband tells me I'm living in the wrong era, that I should have been born in the 50's (or at least raising children in the 50's, lol) Some people think I'm crazy and others admire me for it. I have 2 boys currently hoping for a girl someday and I totally agree with you in the different types of skills they will need to run a successful household. Just don't forget to teach your daughter how to change a tire! ;-)

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com