Thursday, August 6, 2009

Slow cooking Thursday


Every day from about 4:30-7:30 my (almost) 4 week old son is fussy. This is the only time of the day that he is. However, he goes all out! Screaming, crying and doesn't want to be put down. I am unable to make dinner without holding him. With my husband being out of town, I have no one to either A) pass the baby on to while I make dinner or B) make dinner and serve my other 4 kids. Dinner time is now known as the "bewitching hour" at our house.

So I decided to turn to my trusty crockpot. I was eager to post today and join this meme so I looked through my Fix It and Forget it Cookbook. I used a recipe for chicken, adapting it just a little bit.

At dinner time my 8 year old son, who is probably my #1 fan when it comes to cooking/baking said, "what are we having?" I told him teriyaki chicken from the crockpot. To which he replied, "I REMEMBER WHEN YOU MADE THAT! IT WAS SO DRY THAT WE HAD TO DIP IT IN RANCH!" Out of the mouth of babes right? Well...to be perfectly honest...it's true!

I have had success with ham, roast, soups, chili etc. But never with chicken. Ever. So instead of posting my less than successful recipe, I just wanted to ask if anyone has tips for cooking chicken in the crock pot? Am I cooking it too high? Too long? Anyone know? Any advice would be appreciated. Next week I hope to report with a successful recipe! :)

3 comments:

cassandrasmom said...

I used to have the same problem...I found out I was cooking it too long. I know the crockpot is supposed to be for when you can be away from it for a long time but I never use mine unless I can be around at least during the last couple hours of cooking so I can check on it. The crockpots now are so much hotter than they used to be. I can put something in in the morning and have it ready for lunch. My dinners I don't even start until noon or even 1 sometimes (we eat around 7 or so). I hope that helps.

Jen said...

I agree with Cassandrasmom, most new ones are cooking at a much higher temp. So I'd try putting it in later for supper. But it sounded good. Have a great week.

Sandra said...

There's not much I can add to it that Cassandra and Jen already haven't. :)

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com