Tuesday, June 25, 2013

lazy dinner

A couple of nights ago, I was feeling a little under the weather. Nothing serious, just kind of blah.

Yet, my family still wanted to eat dinner. Isn't that the way it always is?!



I decided on a quick and easy "dinner" that my family loves. German pancakes.

Recipes have a lot of history behind them don't they? Maybe not all of them, but some.

When I was first married, Ben and I were hanging out at his parents house. I am not sure how it came about but his Mom made us these puff pancakes and called them German Pancakes. After baking, we topped them with lemon juice and powdered sugar.

This was my first time having them...and yummo! I loved them. The buttery, salty, sweetness.  Because I loved them, and so does my husband, he wrote the recipe down for me. He never does this. It is so cute to have a recipe that he wrote out. I love it!



I have seen these called many different things, Hills & Valleys, German pancakes, Puff pancakes....so whatever you want to call it, this is our recipe:

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp. butter

Pre-heat your oven to 450*.

Beat the eggs until they are frothy. Set aside for a moment and place your butter in your 13x9 dish. (We have also made these in pie plates for a circle shaped pancake/puff). I use a cube of butter, slice it at the 5 TBSP. mark. Then I cut into pats of butter  putting  one in each corner of the pan and one in the middle. Does that make sense? You want to melt the butter while you mix up the rest of the batter. Once you have mixed all the other ingredients in with the eggs, pour it into the dish and bake for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven.



My kids favorite way to eat these are with lemon juice squirted on the puff and than adding powdered sugar. However, I also like raspberry jam with powdered sugar. Have some fruit on the side and bacon/sausage and you have yourself a meal!



No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com