Monday, June 24, 2013

P.S.A.



On our last full day at the Grand Canyon, we tried to squeeze a lot in.

I ate breakfast around 6ish. Really early but when the sun comes up at 5...well, what are you gonna do?



Following breakfast, we cleaned up the camp site, went and took showers, quick trip to the general store and then a hike. It was at least 85* outside.

We hiked, rode a tram to several look outs and enjoyed our day. By 1:00 none of us had eaten, so we walked from the bus stop to a cafeteria. Mason "was tired of lots and lots of walking" so I ended up carrying him part of the way...as well as my backpack.



I was hot, tired, starving and felt loopy. Seriously loopy. So of course I CHOWED down my lunch.

We followed all of this with more hiking,  more carrying Mason (up a hill!) more straightening up, and then headed back to a view point to watch the sun set over the canyon. More walking. More sun. No water. No food.



By the time the sun had gone down, the kids in their shorts & t-shirts were all freezing. Ben took them back to the car while I stopped to take a few more pictures.



Walking back to the car, I got a little lost. We were in parking area 4, and I was in one. I began to walk when my body just felt weird.

I felt dizzy, sick to my stomach and just out of it. I kept walking and my foot would feel as if it was falling asleep. I kept walking, ( I am one of those "walk it off" kind of people) and the symptoms kept up. I was feeling disoriented and was about to text my husband to come and pick me up. I finally found the car and said, "I don't feel good."

Have you figured out what happened? Yeah I was completely dehydrated. I had been doing too much and not taking care of myself. I made sure my kids downed plenty of water. Had their sunscreen, bug spray, water bottles, snacks...you name it. Me? I was too busy to take care of myself.



I got in the car and guzzled water, which led to a sick stomach. I slowed down, rested in the a/c, ate some food, and lied down a while. I finally felt better, but it took awhile.

Can I tell you something? It was SCARY! I had never felt like that and don't want too again!

This summer, wherever you are, bring water! If you end up having to buy a water bottle, because you forgot, do it! Refill as necessary! Snacks are also important. Jerky, granola/protein bars, fruit, cheese, nuts...something. Drink your water! Water is the best but you can also have a Gatorade type drink. Just keep downing fluids.

Do as I say, and not as I did, because trust me, you don't want to feel that way! Stay safe this summer!




No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com