Thursday, July 15, 2010

cooking Thursday



I can't believe how long it has been since I have participated! I am still trying to organize our home & lives after our big move. But I am getting there. Slowly but surely!

Last night I realized, that one of my favorite skillets has lost it's coating. How do I know this? Because EVERYTHING is sticking to it. *Big sigh*. So my dinner last night didn't turn otu what I had planned...but it turned out better. (:

OK I have a huge confession...I was making Hamburger Helper. I know, I know. But my honey was going to be late and my kids were STARVING. So I decided to feed them out of the pantry. Then I had EVERYTHING stick to the pan. Grrr...

I took the ground beef and rice (it was a Taco kind) that hadn't been scorched. I made some more spanish rice, added the hamburger to it. Then corn kernels. I placed corn chips on the bottom of the bowl and topped it with cheese. I also gave my kiddo's more tortilla chips to dip in.

They devoured it and my 5 yr. old told me that, "it's not gross, Mom!" I guess that is a compliment! Anyway I thought it turned out yummy!

Taco beef & rice:

Brown ground beef in skillet, drain.

Add taco seasoning and follow directions on pkg

Rice. You can cook it in a rice cooker and then add it. You can use a packaged kind of rice. Or brown, instant...whatever you like.

Put ground beef and rice in a bowl and mix.

Then add a can (or fresh/frozen) of corn.

Crush tortilla chips and put on the bottom of serving bowls.

Put mixture on top.

Top with sour cream and cheese.

**My kids like things simple but if you wanted to you could also add
*tomatoes
*onions
*black olives
* put more crushed tortilla chips on top
*roll it into a tortilla

Very easy and yummy. Also a great way to use up leftovers!

2 comments:

annies home said...

love this making tacos tonight may try this the next time

Sandra said...

You know that actually sounds REALLY good, and I've found that sometimes the last minute throw together dishes are the best.

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com