Friday, July 23, 2010

Freezer Cooking Friday pt.1


(hamburger patties and mini meatloaves ready to go in the freezer!)

The other day on Facebook, I mentioned that I love freezer cooking. Many responses later, I realized that not everyone knows exactly what it is. So I am going to go through it. I do want everyone to know that there are millions of other blogs and sites that have more info and know more about it then I do. So I will try to add some of those links at the end.

First things first...freezer cooking. What is it? Well, basically it is doing some or all of the prep work for a meal, putting it in the freezer, and using it at a later date. Although, it is not limited to a "meal". It could be bread, desserts, vegi's, fruit, etc.

There are a lot of different ways that you can do this.

So let's start with one for today.

Preparing part of a meal. An example of this would be, buying ground beef in bulk. Browning it, draining it and then seperating it into meal sized portions. Label a freezer bag...and there you go.

Another example: buying chicken, ( I usually buy boneless skinless thighs) dividing the pkg into portions, placing a marinade in the freezer bag, putting the chicken in and freezing it in the marinade. Then as it thaws, the marinade is working it's magic.

Some of my other favorites:
**slicing ham into cubes to have for later
** cutting peppers and onions to have for fajhitas
**hamburger patties
**meatloaves etc.
**quick breads
**muffins


Start thinking of your families favorite meals, is there a part of it that could be prepped and frozen? Could you pre-cook ground beef and onions for tacos? Marinade chicken or steak for kabobs? Or to just throw on the grill?

Feel free to ask any questions or leave any comments in the suggestions. I love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Jessica Manning said...

Okay, you have officially inspired me! I am making blueberry muffins and freezing half of them and making a big pan of chicken enchiladas and beef enchiladas and freezing extras. Thanks for all the tips :)

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com