Monday, April 1, 2013

Hi, my name is Ivan...

...and I have AUTISM.



I am considered very mild, and some people don't even realize that I do have autism.

Just because you can't see something (like a wheel chair, or a scar) doesn't mean that it isn't there.

I was diagnosed when I was 3 and I just turned 8. I am really good at math so I can tell you that is for 5 years now.



My family loves me very much. But I also do things that make sense to me, but are frustraing to them. I think everything should be fair, all the time. If my brother gets a Lego set for his birthday, I should get one too. If I don't get the same amount of time on video games as others, I get mad. It's not fair. My Mom says that, "life isn't always fair" but I think it should be. I don't like it when things aren't fair.



School is frustrating. I don't know how to tell people though. I get frustrated when I am not first in line. Or when somebody else has the red ball. Or when kids don't play by the rules. Sometimes I get in trouble for hitting, or screaming at other kids. But they don't always follow the rules. And I like rules. I like everything fair and square.



My teacher tells me how smart I am, and so I have to do 3 spelling lists. Other kids who don't spell as well, only have to do 1 or 2. I don't like that. I hate writing and I hate spelling. Why do I have to do more work? My teacher told me that after Spring Break, I can do 2 lists instead of three. I am glad because I have bad dreams about spelling.





I love math. My Mom told me I am going to have to do her budgeting and couponing because I am smarter at math than she is.



I don't understand whyI have to try new things. I don't like new things. Sometimes, I have to "try just one bite", or take turns on family movie night.

Here are things that I love...
-my family
-reading. I love the Diary of a Whimpy Kid books, because they are funny.
-Legos
-Star Wars
-anything red
-snuggling on my bed with lots of blankets
-building with Jenga blocks
-puzzles



I am just a regular kid. But I have autism. My Mom says that makes me special. I think she might be right...

****April is Autism Awareness month. April 2nd we are encouraged to Light it up Blue. If you have the inclanation, we would love you to support these awesome kids by wearing blue.****

No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com