Saturday, December 11, 2010

cooking with stockpiles

Can I just tell you that food photography is not easy!

The picture isn't great. But the food was good!
Every week, I scan the flyers from the grocery stores.

I match sale items with my coupons to get the best deal.

I bring them home.

I have built up a stockpile. My cupboards are full. So are my freezers.

And yet...I still have to get dinner on the table. Those groceries don't just cook themselves!

This recipe was a great one, because it used things that I already had on hand. Things that I stock up on when they are a great sale!

Cheesy Hashbrown CasseroleHASH BROWN CASSEROLE


1 (32 oz.) pkg. frozen hash browns (2 lbs.)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1/2 c. milk

2 t. onion powder

1/2 t. pepper

2 c. grated cheddar cheese

Topping

1/4 c. melted butter

3 c. cornflakes (I had Corn Chex) crush in Ziploc™ bag, pour

melted butter in & shake.



Spray casserole dish with oil. Layer 1/2 hash brown first. Then pour 1/2 of soup mixture = cream of chicken, milk, onion powder, salt, & pepper. Then half of the grated cheese. Repeat… Hash browns, soup mixture, grated cheese. Top with crushed, buttered corn flakes. Bake at 350 for 45 min.
 
**I  added some cubed ham. **
The kids decided that it was delicous and even ate seconds and my daughter had thirds!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love whem my kids eat more than one helping - especially my picky eater. It sounds fantastic, we love hashbrowns and cheese :)

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com