Friday, April 6, 2012

yummm...

Living in So. California definatley has its' perks! Perfect weather, beautiful area, close to the beach, friendly people and tons of yummy produce!!



Because of our awesome weather, we have yummy produce all year round. But right now is my favorite time of the year because of the STRAWBERRIES!!



Mmm, they are huge and cheap! When they are not in season, we can usually find them for around $2-$2.50 per pint. Right now they are .99!

I bought two 3 lb. containers and spent a while cutting them all up. We like them straight up, or in a bowl with sugar,using them to make freezer jam,  or my favorite....strawberry shortcake.



Normally I crush them and add sugar, to make it more of a sauce. But these were so yummy I just heaped them on. Delish...and might I add, not too bad health wise.

Strawberries- zero fat and few calories
sponge dessert cups- zero fat and 85 calories for one
cool whip/whipped cream- you could use fat free, light or regular

2 comments:

Susan said...

Lucky you! Ours are still really expensive. I can't wait until they're cheaper because they're so good and so easy to use in lots of different ways. Yum!

Larilyn said...

I don't know which part of Southern California you're in, but I know down here in San Diego, they have a ton of "You pick" strawberry fields. Cheap, delicious strawberries, and tons of fun for little kids to go running through the strawberry fields! Just a thought!

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com