Monday, May 7, 2012

Mighty Fine

I just finished watching an amazingly powerful movie.

When I first read the email inviting me to premiere the movie, I was not sure what to expect. But who doesn't want to watch a new movie right?

"Mighty Fine" takes place in the 60's/70's in New Orleans.

(image taken from Mighty Fine website)


It opens with Joe Fine (played by Chazz Palminteri) moving his family from Brooklyn to New Orleans. No one is really excited about this move but are hoping for a new and better life.

The women in Joe's life, wife Stella (played by Andie MacDowell) and daughters Natalie (played by Jodelle Ferland) and Maddie (played by Rainey Qualley) are constantly walking on egg shells, trying to keep their father/husband happy.


When the family starts to face financial troubles, the situation goes from bad to worse. Their hope of a better life is being dashed. As Joe's rages become worse and happen more frequently, the family pleads with him to get help. He is a very stubborn and proud man, and blames his wife for his problems.

Following every rage, comes some sort of gift, as a way of buying forgiveness.

In the end, a choice has to be made whether or not to continue with life as they know it, or to find the courage to get out of it.

Have you ever read a book about the Holocaust or slavery and had a hard time describing it as "good", because it describes something horrific? That is how I feel about this movie.

While it was not one of those movies that leaves your heart a little lighter and a huge grin on your face, it was a heart wrenching, keeps you glued to the screen, hoping for a happy ending kind of movie.

I grew up in a wonderful home with loving parents. I had a hard time imagining living my life in the way that the Fine family did. However, I do know of family & friends who have dealt with such situations. I believe this movie would be helpful if you had been through this type of situation. Knowing that you are not the only one going through it.

This is not a family friendly movie. It is rated R and contains graphic images, f-bombs, and violent scenes. I had to keep shooing my children out of the room while it was on.

Mighty Fine will be opening, on May 25th,  at a limited number of theaters. If you are interested in seeing if you have one in your area, you can go here

I would love to know what you think. Watch it and let me know!

**I am having the hardest time adding a link to the trailer!! Please go to the Mighty Fine website and watch it there.**

*** Disclosure policy: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Mighty Fine and the distributor. I received access to an online showing of the film and a promotional item to thank me for participating**






No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com