Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Reinventing the wheel

It is only the middle of November and I am already soooo tired of making lunches.





Every morning, I pull out the kids lunch containers and try to fill them with items I think the kids will eat. Or, I am so unprepared with what I want to make, that I stop and get some "help-ables"...you know what I am talking about right? Uncrustables and Lunchables.

You don't have to be an expert in math to realize that those items are not cheap. Helpful? Check. Convenient? Check. Crazy expensive for what they are? Check.
The lunch menu

The other day my son brought home the lunch menu for his school and as I was looking at it, I realized something. They only offer a few different items, and just rotate them.

a side view of the breakfast menu


So why on earth, have I been trying to do something new and different every.single.day? Also known as trying to reinvent the wheel.

I racked my brain and came up with 5 things that my kids normally will eat. They are:

** Quesadillas
** bagel pizzas
** pb & honey
** chicken nuggets
** cresant dogs

I decided to follow the cafeteria and just rotate these same items. I have also decided to this with breakfasts.

I am going to do it this way...

Mondays--->
 B:pancakes (made over the weekend of course!)
L: quesadillas

Tuesdays--->
B: cereal and toast
L:bagel pizzas (make ahead over the weekend and freeze)

Wednesdays--->
B: yogurt & muffins
L: sandwich (either pb & honey or ham and cheese)

Thursdays--->
B: cereal & toast
L: chicken nuggets

Fridays--->
B: yogurt & muffins
L: cresant dogs

Over the weekend, for breakfasts, I am going to make batches of muffins & pancakes etc. so that I have them for the busy week.

Of course, if this doesn't work, I can always change it up again. I am just happy I came up with this idea now instead of May or June...
 

No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com