Friday, November 30, 2012

Poor

"Mom, are we poor?"

My kids at SeaWorld (minus the youngest)


One of my cute little kiddos asked me this the other day. Of course I asked why they thought that.

"Well because you always use coupons, and say, "I am not spending money on that" and you always accept hand me downs, plus a few other things."

I thought about their question before I answered. I wanted to make sure that they understood why I do the things that I do.



No, we are not poor. My kids have never known what it is like to have a hungry belly, or to not have a roof over their head. Or to suffer with an injury or sickness, because we can't go to the doctor. They always have clothes that fit them. They get new books & video games, go to movies & amusement parks. We eat out, from McDonalds to more "fancy" places like Olive Garden.

No we are not poor.

I try to save money because:
 I don't want my kids to know what it is like to have a hungry belly.
I don't want my kids to go without a roof over their heads.
I don't want my kids to have to suffer because we can't afford to take them to the doctor.
I don't want my kids to have to be without nice clothes. (Not the nicEST, but nice).
I want to be able to buy my children new books. I want to be able to buy them video games.
I want to go to the theater and watch movies with my kids. Or take them to an amusement park.
I want to be able to eat out.
I want them to feel safe and secure. Content.

Nope, we are not poor. But I am going to spend the least amount of money I can, so that I can AFFORD to do what we enjoy.

Its not about the money.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Well said! When I was a kid, I had a friend who lived in a huge 3-story house (no names, but you know who I'm talking about). She was the richest person I'd ever met, so imagine my shock when I saw her mother clipping coupons. I just could not understand why she would be doing that when they were obviously so well off. It took me a few years to realize that my friend's mom's frugality was probably a big reason why they WERE so wealthy. Lesson learned.

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com