Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Going bananas

There are a lot of people in my life, that when they have extras of something, they bring it to our family. We have been the recipients of many gifts.

And guess what? I never say no. No, I can't always use what I am given (or at least not all of it) but by being open to it, I stay fresh in peoples minds. Here is just a quick list of items our family has recieved:

* a tall cabinet
*a loft bed
*desk chair
*clothes
*food, soooo much food
*people save coupons for me

I am sure there are more, but I just can't think of it all.



I was gone one day, and returned home and there was a big box of bananas on my table. My husband said, "yeah someone dropped those off to us."

Visions of banana bread, cookies and bars danced through my head.

However, upon closer inspection, I realized, "wow that is a lot of banana bread."



Instead I decided to freeze them. I had heard a couple of different ways to freeze bananas but decided to ask my facebook friends. So I peeled 'em, bagged 'em, vaccum sealed them and put them in the freezer.



I did leave a few out so that I can make some goodies. But I am happy I :

1. didn't let the bananas go bad
2. saved money
3. used what I was given

How about you? Do you use your freezer to help prolong produce? Or other items? I would love to hear about it. Although I haven't tried the milk yet...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I had to laugh when I saw this because I was "gifted" with 67 bananas that were just past the stage that I would eat them, but would be great for banana breads, etc. I peeled them, diced a few, flash froze them and they are now ready to be made into delicious baked goodies. I actually have a banana chocolate snack cake in the oven as I am typing this! Yummy!

Anna said...

I do the same thing with bananas. I always seem to have 1 or 2 left in a bunch that we don't eat in time. They make great smoothies! Lately I've been cooking up my own black beans in the slow cooker and freezing them. I can usually get dried ones for about $1 a pound, and 1lb dried is equal to 3 cans of cooked beans. Every little bit of savings helps, right?

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com