Saturday, January 19, 2013

Got Milk?

"Mom...we are all out of milk again. "

These words are said at least 2 times a week (if not more) in this house. Besides ketchup, it is the one thing we can't keep in stock around here.

Luckly for me, Ralphs was having a nice deal. Buy any 4 General Mills/Pillsbury (and a couple of other brands) and get a free gallon of milk.




While some of the products had their prices jacked way up, there were others that weren't quite as bad. Especially when combined with coupon.

In the end I got:
4 boxes of cereal
4 boxes of Toaster Strudels
4 bags of Pillsbury breakfast scrambles
4 boxes of yogurt
4 gallons of milk (I checked and I was able to get chocolate as well!)
and my regular 3 LA Times Weekend edition

After coupons and green bag discounts I paid $35.xx



I was super excited. By keeping an eye out for the cheapest items that qualified, I didn't pay too much more out of pocket, than I would have to buy the milk.



Since this deal lasts until Tuesday, I may get some more. I have heard freezing milk works perfectly fine but have never tried it. Have any of you? Any tips?

Being silly while patiently waiting for their chocolate milk


***BTW: if you want to go and get in on this deal, but you/your family don't drink regular cows milk, you can get a half gallon of organic milk instead.***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freezing works. Though, I opened up the container and poured out about a cup to spare the container, which might or might not have been necessary.

It is awkward to thaw it out. Takes several days in the refrigerator to thaw. If you leave it too long (or if you clean out the freezer and put it back even though it thawed a bit) then it might separate. It still tastes fine, but it looks weird so is best used cooking at that point.

I think someone recommended adding a tsp of something to extend the freshness during the thaw process. Salt maybe? I can't remember now.

Hannah

Susan said...

I've wondered about freezing milk as well, since we go through TONS every week, but I've never been brave enough to try ...

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com