Monday, February 18, 2013

Family time



Ben & I  had been talking about taking the kids on a family hike for awhile now.

Every time we talked to the kids about it, we were met with a less than enthusiastic response.



After googling  "family friendly hikes" we picked one and decided not to tell the kids about it.

We told all the kids to put their tennis shoes on and grabbed a bunch of waterbottles, granola bars and goldfish. And we were off.





The kids started out awfully grumpy but we told them there would be no video games for 2 weeks if they complained. That ended that! While we are not the most out doors-y of families, I don't think it hurts them to unplug for awhile!!



I am not sure what "Google" considers to be family friendly, but it was a lot harder than what I thought it would be! The trail went up and down and around.



The person who had the hardest time, the one who is completely out of shape, is ME! I didn't complain though.



This area was also open to horse back riders. Which meant only one thing...horse poop all over the trail. So there was a bit of complaining about that, which I felt was completely legit.






At the end of the trail, we reached a waterfall. Because you had to scale over some rocks, Mason and I stayed where we were. And then it happened..."Mommy I need to go pee pee." We all know that little boys can just go outside right? Well not Mason. Ben took him behind trees and Mason would say, " I can't go pee pee here, there isn't a bathroom." Holding it for the whole rest of the trail was not easy...


And then...we were almost all the way back when...Mason got going a little fast and biffed it. Cutting his knees and elbows. He was not a happy camper hiker. At the end of the trail was a small conservatory and luckily a bathroom.

We got him cleaned up and as we were heading back to the car, Mason told us, " I don't like this place. I want to get out of here."



Next time, I think we are going to google, "toddler friendly" hikes!

No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com