Monday, March 1, 2010

Shopping challenge

(Food, glorious food)

A long time ago, in a faraway land, there was a wannabe coupon queen. She shopped at wonderful bakery outlets, double and triple coupon stores, clipped her coupons faithfully on Sunday nights. Her pantry and freezer were stocked. Life was good.

Then she moved to a tiny island. No Sunday papers with glossy paged ads. No weekly grocery ads to compare her coupons with for a good deal. No coupons in said paper. No double coupons. No warehouse stores. Only one store to shop at. She had plenty of groceries they were all just paid for at full price. Her grocery bill went through the roof.

OK that is my attempt at a fairy tale. LOL It is true though. Being on Guam has been rough on our budget.

I believe that as a homemaker it is my job to make our money stretch as far as it can. I am not always good at this.

Right now our pantry is FULL, our freezers are full. We are moving in 3 months. It is time to stop bringing more groceries in and start clearing some OUT!

So when I found the $60 Grocery cart challenge, I was all in! I read her blog, and made my weekly menu according to her suggestions. I went to my pantry before the grocery store. I made out my menu accordng to what was in there. Then I added items to my list that we were out of.

Today was my first trip and DRUM ROLL PLEASE $46 was my total!! I did walk past the Cadburry mini eggs and ok all the Easter candy (only stopping twice but eventually not giving in!!)and did not grab my usual after grocery shopping diet coke. (:

I am so proud of myself. My meals are planned for this week and I even have 2 "just in case" dinners planned.

I am going to keep this up until I move. Once I get back to the states, and coupons and real grocery stores, I know my plans will change. But for right now, I am cleaning out the pantry. Wanna join me?

**I am spending $60 or less at the grocery store (this includes toiletries and cleaning etc)every week

** I am not counting diapers or formula (:
** If I come under my budget, that money is going into my savings account. Some choose to move it to the next week.

** Will post some of my good deals although they are few and far between on this island!

2 comments:

Susan said...

You forgot to mention that the coupon queen in the fairy tale has a sister in the faraway land of Coupon Abundance, where coupons are so plentiful they pile up in such large mountains that they often go unignored. Although said sister has been ill and is waaayyyy behind on clipping this paper gold, she could be persuaded to part with some of her bounty. All the coupon queen (I don't want to hear any of this wannabe stuff - once a queen, always a queen) has to do is ask :)

Your favorite sister said...

Yes, I know. Although I am still waiting for that free Rice Krispies coupon. (:It's just that, you can use coupons but we don't have sales and we would just have to hope that we have a coupon for what we are buying. The game is so different over here. But no need to worry, 3 more months and I will have more than one store to shop at. Thank heaven!

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com