Friday, August 20, 2010

Freezer Cooking Friday- produce

(step 1, chopping 'em all up)
(step 2 lay 'em out and put them in the freezer to flash freeze)


(step 3 throw 'em in a labeled ziploc bag/container)


(step 4, sucking the air out. Maybe I should ask Santa for a vacum sealer?)

(step 5)

Did you get a great deal on produce this summer? Berries, peaches, peppers... I love summer time produce. Don't let your deals get wasted!

Berries can EASILY be made into jams, or mixed berry muffins!

Or of course, they can head for our best friend, the freezer!

How to do it in 5 easy steps:

1) chop your produce (I had some peppers that I needed to do something with!)

2) lay them out on a baking sheet.

3)Place them in the freezer to flash freeze, about 2 hours.

4) Label your bag(s)!! Put your produce in.

5) If you don't have a food sealer like your good friend Marie, you do it the old fashioned way! Place a straw in your bag and suck as much air out as you possibly can.

6) OK so technically it is 6 steps but...put it in your freezer!

Later these can be used for stir fry's, frittata, fajhitas, etc. You could also throw in some onions.

**Make a dinner kit by using a basket/bags/gladware and put in a bag of chicken, tortillas (bought on sale/day old bread store)and your peppers are you are all set for fajhitas!

Is there any other "dinner kits" you could put together? Let me know!

3 comments:

Book Loving Mommy said...

I don't have any other kit ideas but I love the fact that you can freeze the peppers (I just never thought of it) for fajitas and frittatas. We wanted fajitas the other day but didnt' have any peppers because they went back (which is common here) so now peppers are going on my grocery list and I'm gonna freeze them. How long can the be in the freezer?

Your favorite sister said...

They are good for a looong time. At the least a year.

Book Loving Mommy said...

Awesome! I will be feezing me some peppers then :) Not that I think they wil be int here for a year but you never know....

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com