Sunday, August 22, 2010

sweet Sundays





(Ethan's masterpiece)


" You are such a jerk!" My 8 yr. old son yelled this at my 9 yr old son, which resulted in a complete meltdown.

In trying to console him, I said, "would you like to bake something?" He perked up and we found a fun recipe.

Our very first recipe out of the Ziploc/Taste of Home Back to School magazine was for these, "Fun Marshmallow Bars".

Ethan loved making these and the kids really enjoyed eating them with him! Here is the recipe. If you make these, let me know what you thought!

Fun Marshmallow Bars
1 pkg (18 1/4 oz) devils food cake mix
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
3 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup mini candy coated chocolate baking bits (aka M&M's)
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, butter and egg. Press into a greased 13x9 in baking pan. Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes, or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Sprinkle with marshmallows, baking bits and peanuts. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until the marshmallows beging to melt. Cool on a wire rack and cut into bars.

Tips:
** I didn't have mini marshmallows. So we cut up big ones into pieces. I don't recommend that!! We got an ooey-gooey mess! We ended up using more than a cup and it didn't end well! LOL

** My kids do not like nuts so we just omitted them.

** Because they were so eager to dive in, they were still pretty warm. I would highly recommend letting them cool completely.

** Make sure that you are paying close attention to those last couple of minutes. Don't let the marshmallows go to long or they will end up getting hard!

Oh and as you can well imagine, these are very RICH. Have some milk close by!

** Before I forget, email me or leave me a comment if you need upc's and I can get you some!

No comments:

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com