Friday, August 20, 2010

Kids in the Kitchen





I believe that it is very important for kids to know how to cook/bake. I am not just talking about pop tarts and sandwiches.

So when my nephew was here, and asked if he could make his "famous" fried chicken, I told him to go for it. I made sure he had all he needed.

My 8 year old absolutely loves and adores his cousin, and so he was very eager to try out his fried chicken. He stayed by him the whole time!

While cooking, my nephew accidentally hit the handle and sent hot oil all over the kitchen, and unfortunatley down his hand.

I went to get a first aid kit and we got him bandaged up. He finished the chicken the next day, after letting his burn rest.

We learned two things from this experience:

1)accidents happen. You have to pick up and keep going. You can't give up. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

2) keep a first aid kit handy. Not just for accidents in the kitchen,but anywhere in your home. "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear!"

Vale's Famous Fried Chicken
*In a bag, put flour and poultry seasoning.
*Take your chicken pieces, put them in the bag, and cover with flour.
*Fry in a pan with oil until pieces are golden brown

World famous? Not really, but he did do a good job!

3 comments:

Book Loving Mommy said...

Oh my goodness Marie! How old is Vale now? He looks SO grown up and I was still picturing him as he was in the picture of him and me! Now I feel OLD...thanks! :)

Your favorite sister said...

He will be 14 in Sept. Can you believe that? He was born our senior year. He towers over me! But I let him know that I am still his aunt!!

Momgunter said...

Vale recipe looks very familiar! He must have learned it from his mom who learned it from her mom who learned it from her mom. Fried chicken was Grandma Whitby's most favorite food. KFC was the treat of all treats. She even loved broasted chicken.

Want to contact me?

Feel free to contact me at hecimommy@gmail.com